Saturday, 11 June 2011

day 10, lauterbrunnen

Day 10, lauterbrunnen


Thursday night I went for a wander in the evening, which was really nice to see Bern in the dark, super pretty and went around reading a few of the historical boards they had across the city, all very interesting. On the way back to the hostel I stopped at the swiss houses of parliament (as it stands on top of a massive hill) and had a lovely view. There I met 3 awesome american dudes from viginia, who had just finished college and was doing a 3 week tour of Europe before settling down to proper jobs. Got back to the hostel and it was super quiet, which was lovely, got an amazing sleep. Woke up bit earlier then usual to get breakfast in, which I ate with the americans (christian, Malcolm and the other name I’ve forgotton…) then went for a swim! The pool was just down the road, and it was outside and very peaceful. It was a lovely day and there was only another person in the pool, so swam about for half hour which was great, bit on the cold side though. I really enjoyed just floating on my back and looking up seeing the houses of parliament at the top of the hill, a grand building no more then 350m away, with the sun coming from the right hand side and perfect blue sky, it was probably the best thing I’ve done at quarter past nine for a long time. Back to the hostel to check out and had a chat with Chris (the Canadian). He showed me some of his urban planning stuff which I found really interesting, it’s crazy how two people can look at the same thing and see and look for different things. At the train station it had an old fashioned time table, the sort that after 2 minutes or so the whole thing would refresh by physically flicking though all the different options, which I found fascinating. At the train station met the american trio again, they were getting on the same train as me only to Interlaken, so sat with them and had a good chat. On the way to Interlaken we passed some insane scenery and this amazing lake called lake thun. I caught my connection from Interlaken to lauterbrunnen, and as soon as I got into lauterbrunnen saw 4 waterfalls! One pretty big one which was awesome. I walked through the village to the place where I was staying, they didn’t have a reservation for me however were able to put me up in a cabin, with 3 lots of bunkbeds  which is really cool. I went to the shop and met 2 aussie sisters  called sarah and jessa, they were proper sound and on the top deck tour of Europe, by the sounds of how it was I’m really glad I am doing it independently. They were off to Trummelbach falls, and invited me along. The walk was really cool, past a fast flowing river and lots of fungi and slugs which they found really interesting. Trummelbach falls is amazing, you take a lift inside the cliff, then some more stairs up the cliff, and they have cut tunnels through the mountain and gives you amazing views of this waterfall, there’s 10 differet cascades in there. That was sick and really enjoyed it. They left to go get some food with their group which was pre arranged, they were really good fun. Got back to my cabin about 6 and was hungry, so walked though the village to get some food, but the shop was shut and it started to piss it down, so read a few more chapters of the very entertaining book. On coming back I got some food from the camping site shop with a few beers and went to the communal kitchen to knock summat up. In there I met two French Canadian girls who were bus about-ing round Europe, one called Julie and the other again I’ve forgotton. (I really need to start listening to both names when I get introduced). Got on really well with them, and they were heading off to a friends cabin for some drinks, so I joined them. In the cabin which is tiny was about 14 people, mostly aussies, a Canadian and a couple of others, who were all either friends or had met on bus about, (similar to the kiwi experience). Had a right laugh, went and got changed into some fancier gear and went down to the bunker, a club at the bottom of this building nearby, had a great time, more beers, bit of dancing and chatting and the like and got back to me cabin about 2. Plans for today is get a shower, do some washing, meet up with Julie and her friend, there’s a waterfall 5 mins walk here where you can walk under it! I’m here for another 2 nights, however internet here is expensive! 4 quid for half hour or 12 quid for 3 hours! I’m thinking of going back down to Interlaken for a couple of days as I’d like to see more of the river and other shit, there’s a place nearby that you take a cable car up the mountain and a 725m toboggan ride down! I think there’s a swiss youth hostel down there (by the same company that ran the one I stayed in in basel and bern, so I know it will be proper nice). From Interlaken I can catch a train to Milan, as I would have had to gone back to Interlaken from lauterbrunnen anyway. This place is called Valley of the waterfalls, there’s 72 around here! Let’s see how many I can see!  Not sure how often it at all I’ll be in on the internet over the next couple of days, might not update this blog till Monday, x

No comments:

Post a Comment