Sunday, 4 September 2011
day 95, St Petersburg
I was so tempted to title it from Russia with love but thought that would lower the tone, so was quite content to use that as a subject title in emails to the parents. This morning I woke up with a banging headache which was a mixture of tiredness, drinking and inhaling smoke from a pair of burning shoes, but it was a cracking evening. I managed to get most of me packing done yesterday and just had little bits and pieces to do. Me mum and dad took me up the airport which was lovely of them (thank you!) and after a little sleep in the car was feeling hugely better. Got to Gatwick, found my desk and checked in with my bag (at a proud 14.3kgs, including full shower gel, 2 toothpastes, 2 tubes of concentrated clothes wash, anti mosquito stuff and 157 anti malarial tablets (that’s summat I also sorted out when back in Southampton)) and we went for a coffee before saying our emotional goodbyes. Airports have to be some of the most bland places ever so nothing really to report till got on the plane, which was one by a Russian airline and space was at a premium. It was pretty knees up stuff however they did have some nice extra’s like a complimentary drink (and not rubbish drinks either), sweets and a good meal. after just over 3 hours and some pretty immense views landed in St Petersburg! Was quite a small airport, filled in my immigration forms and checked in very smoothly and was surprised by how chilled Russia felt. I had the choice of getting a taxi or doing the bus/metro/metro route and opted for the latter. Got the bus to a metro station and the bus driver wouldn’t let me pay for a ticket which was nice of him, then into the metro which was very well laid out and bloody cool just to be in. I met an English bloke who was in Russia to do business (something to do with selling books) and left him to get another metro to my hostel. The road I was staying on is the main avenue in st Petersburg, and the English bloke compared it to the a1. After marching up and down trying to figure out how they number houses I found the hostel, only to find it had a different name and I couldn’t get in I managed to talk to them despite me not speaking Russian and them not speaking English, and they kindly phoned the hostel’s number that I had. Turns out they had moved (2 years ago) and I had to get another metro for 3 mintutes moving at some pace (still on the same bloody road) and asked a few people along the way who were all pointing in the same sort of direction which ended up in this rather dark road near a park with a big iron gate and number pad to get in. I couldn’t buzz for anyone and 2 girls went in and I followed through. It opened up into a big dark rundown courtyard, the 2 girls were Russian and lived in one of the houses and I was a little bit apprehensive as you needed a code to get out as the gates were closed, and there was just a door with a apple sign (I’m staying at the apple hostel) so went in, up some stairs and into a rather out of place and lovely little hostel, with a shower star trek would be proud of. Met some very lovely people but so tired declined going out for the night, Russia are 3 hours ahead so going to go to bed now to have a full day in st Petersburg!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good to hear that you are now back on the road.
ReplyDeletePossibly your first comment?
xx