Tuesday, 12 July 2011

day 41, zagreb

Having caught the train to Zagreb by the skin on my teeth, the train was a very average one. It was quite busy so I didn’t have a window seat hence couldn’t see everything as much as I would have wanted, so I started on my new book (hopefully I won’t lose this one) called ‘Holy Cow’, by sarah someone, so far it’s ok, it’s all about self discovery and discovery of Indian culture, bits are very funny and bits are very average, though it has more laughs per minute then my lonely planet guidebook so shall stick with it and see how it goes, or till I can find a new one. Croatia was the first time I’ve really witnessed customs, they kept us for half hour, had to show me passport (as did everyone on the train) three times, and they stamped it (I wouldn’t mind but it was a proper shit stamp). Arrived at Zagreb and it made a really positve first impression, lovely architecture, nice parks, well laid out, big but small, just nice in general. Found my preferred hostel but they were full, asked where they would recommend and went there. I had a couple of hostel directions written down, but they were all out the way  bit, and as not sure how long I am staying in Zagreb thought I’d take their advice. It turned out to be the Hostel International hostel, and got a bed in a dorm with 4 british lads straight out of college, they were nice blokes but didn’t want to go around with them. Turns out the decision was a very good one and a very bad one. The hostel itself, although clean, is soulless, there is no common area, no kitchen, no bloody power ports, so I went off round Zagreb by meself. It is really nice, Becki (the Canadian girl from Ljubljana) gave me her croatia guidebook, so I looked like a right bloody tourist taking the route it recommended and seeing the sights. It was good to have a more in depth book with me, as I read about all the history of the sights and buildings as I went past them, like did you know the tie has it’s origins in Croatian, as was Nicola Tesla. I got some food (with came to 21 kuna, I did withdraw 500 kuna (which is only 60 quid!)) and sat down in the park where I fell asleep for a couple of hours in the shade as it was baking. I thought I’d check out the bus timetables to Plitvice lakes, as there was not a huge amount left to do in Zagreb, as nice as it were. Along the 15min walk I saw some of the best street art yet, was really good, so took lots of pictures. Only downer is my camera has the black dot problem underneath the lens, which is fucking fab. So most of my pictures have a smudge/more concentrated black dot about a third of the way to the right. Hopefully I’ll get it sorted in time when back in the uk as I got extended warranty (FTW) however rather it didn’t happen. Got the times to plitvice and think I will leave for the 7:30 bus, go round plitvice for the day and either stay over night or take the bus onto zadar! So it’s quite handy as my hostel is very well located, 20mins away from bus, rather then 50 mins if I went to the better hostel I was thinking of. I as unsure what to do with the evening, checked back to the hostel to see if there was any atmosphere/people whatsoever, (there wasn’t) so took a walk round town that I’d never been before. I was walking around and it was getting dark, and while it was very interesting just to wander, see buildings that I missed before, stumble upon street performers and jazz concerts it was the first time I felt a bit lonely. I walked up and down all the outdoor seating areas (which there were a couple of miles of) looking out for anyone/group who I could maybe join or was in the same boat, but everyone was deep in conversation and/or company. I thought about going to the cinema by meself, (the hangover 2 was on at half 10 for £3.50) though as I didn’t get to bed till 1 last night, up at half 7 I thought I’d call it a night. I’m currently sat in the lobby as it’s the only place with a power port charging meself in case I need it tomorrow before having a quick shower and off to bed, ready for a half six morning (yay).  Really looking for to plitvice lakes, and I quite like the way that all the public transport and the like works here, nowhere has advanced timetables, if you are lucky you might be able to get them on the day, and there is lots of rival company, but everyone just accepts it and get’s on with it, and there will always be a next one, no matter how late. Also there is a big difference in general attitude, I’m falling for outdoor seating and very casual drinking, where having a good old chat is the main goal and listening to very cool chilled music, today I saw a orchestra concert that was in this posh building who were having a interval, so they all went outside for champagne, and outside was kids skateboarding and drinking, but not causing a nuisance or being cunts, there was no weariness or unfounded fear, everyone was just having a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment